The student who completes this course should develop a balanced view of the role of business in society, and of the role of the individual professional in business, as well as a deep appreciation for the interconnectedness of these institutional and individual roles. Specifically, the student in this course will have to opportunity:
- To explore the purpose of business, and how each business can be designed to serve its desired purpose
- To develop an effective stakeholder perspective on the firm, especially as seen through the lenses of Sustainability and Human Rights
- To understand how business models and market inefficiencies play to the benefit or detriment of business and society
- To learn enough moral psychology to understand how well-intentioned professionals can get lured into ethical traps
- To gain an introductory understanding of business law, the context for those laws, and the responsibility placed on the individual executive
- To learn what characterizes individuals and companies with positive ethical values, and why students are better off joining them.