CSB Research Grant Program
CSB has recently launched its Research Grant Program for Stern Faculty and PhD students. Read details below.
MissionNYU Stern’s Center for Sustainable Business (CSB) envisions a better world through better business. CSB offers faculty research grants related to our mission: to ensure current and future business leaders develop the knowledge and skills to embed sustainability in core business strategy so they can reduce risk; create competitive advantage; develop innovative services, products, and processes; while building value for society and protecting the planet. The CSB defines the 21st-century corporation as one that embeds sustainability core to its business strategy, creates value for key stakeholders and society, and helps to solve the challenges we have before us. Our thematic research areas include:
- The financial case for sustainability is not well understood or tracked,
- Companies and investors need to shift focus from short-term thinking and shareholder primacy to long-term value creation that engages stakeholders,
- Knowledge of consumer purchasing of sustainable products or effective sustainability messaging to consumers is often based on intent to purchase data, and
- Social, environmental, and economic challenges present a business opportunity but people don’t always act on this
How to Apply
Grants will be awarded annually. Please submit the application package to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject CSB Faculty Grant Application by January 31, 2020. Awards will be announced March 31st, 2020.
Application is a single pdf file containing:
- Project description: Two pages that include the objective, research design, methods, and expected outcomes, including publication strategy. Please also include an abstract.
- Statement on how the project addresses CSB mission and thematic areas.
- Budget: No more than one page including a short budget and budget justification. Identify any complementary sources of funds (e.g. STAR funds, NSF, or other sources). We accept requests for funds between $5K and $10K.
- Current CV
- Funding requests can range between $5K and $10K. Funding is available for data acquisition and for fieldwork travel. Data acquisition costs should be documented in the budget.
- RA support will be capped ($7,500).
- Travel funding to work with co-authors is capped ($500 for domestic airfare; $1,000 for international airfare).
- No funding for: travel to conferences, equipment investment, or RAs outside of NYU. The Center does not reimburse outlays made prior to the award of a grant. All else being equal, preference will be given to applications from junior faculty and new applicants.
- In addition, there is a bias against funding more than one project per applicant per cycle.
Acceptance of a CSB research grant indicates agreement with the following conditions:
- The details of the grant will be announced on the Center's website.
- If the research is published, a statement should be included as follows: “This research was funded in part by NYU Stern Center for Sustainable Business Faculty Grant Program.”
- Evidence (e.g. receipts) of how the funds have been spent will be submitted to CSB as soon as possible, but no later than six months following the grant (unless otherwise specified).
- Within six months (unless otherwise specified), the grantee will submit a brief research note (e.g. several paragraphs) that documents research progress for posting on the CSB website. Any data purchased or created with Center grant funds will be made available to all Stern faculty and Ph.D. students, subject to vendor restrictions.
- Published papers or white papers to be shared with CSB for posting on the CSB website.