The NYU Stern Center for Sustainable Business (CSB) is eager to support research iniatives conducted by Stern faculty and PhD students related to business and sustainability.
Since 2018, CSB has funded over twelve projects led by researchers in the Stern community on topics related to sustainable finance and the role of business in addressing social and environmental issues. Topics have ranged from examining how the #MeToo movement changes investors' valuation and risk attitudes to how agricultural supply and land use change in Brazil responds to market conditions.
My colleague Kelly See and I are very grateful to have received a grant from CSB for our research on the effects of an organization’s sustainability initiatives on employee engagement. The grant enabled us to complete our initial survey and to have valuable conversations with business leaders in sustainability focused positions about their initiatives and about our research.
- Frances Milliken, NYU Stern Professor of Management and Organizations
- Any full-time Stern faculty member or PhD student may apply. Collaborations with PhD students are encouraged.
- Funding requests can range between $5,000 and $10,000.
- Funding is available for data acquisition and for fieldwork travel. Data acquisition costs should be documented in the budget.
- Research assistance support will be capped at $7,500.
- Funding for travel to work with co-authors is capped at $500 for domestic airfare and $1,000 for international airfare.
- CSB will not fund travel to conferences, equipment investment, or research assistance outside of NYU. CSB does not reimburse outlays made prior to the award of a grant.
- CSB will give preference to new applicants and to projects that align with our mission. CSB is unlikely to fund more than one project per applicant per cycle.
Acceptance of a CSB Research Grant indicates agreement with the following conditions:
- The details of the grant will be announced on CSB's website and in CSB communications.
- If the research is published, a statement should be included as follows: “This research was funded in part by the NYU Stern Center for Sustainable Business Research Grant Program.”
- Evidence (e.g. receipts) of how the funds have been spent will be submitted to CSB as soon as possible, but no later than six months following the grant (unless otherwise specified).
- Within six months (unless otherwise specified), the grantee will submit a brief research note (e.g. several paragraphs) that documents research progress for posting on the CSB website. Any data purchased or created with CSB Research Grant funds will be made available to all Stern faculty and PhD students, subject to vendor restrictions.
- Published papers or white papers will be shared with CSB for posting on our website.
Grants will be awarded annually. The current application window is closed. The next window for grant applications will open in late 2020 and end January 31, 2021.
How to Apply
- The following application materials should be submitted in a single PDF file.
- Project description: Two pages that include the objective, research design, methods, and expected outcomes, including publication strategy. Please also include an abstract.
- Statement on how the project addresses CSB's mission and thematic research areas.
- Budget: No more than one page including a short budget and budget justification. Identify any complementary sources of funds (e.g. STAR funds, NSF, or other sources). We accept requests for funds between $5,000 and $10,000.
- Current CV